2005 Apr 22 00:35

[vox-tech] simple parsing of multiple-line records...?

[vox-tech] simple parsing of multiple-line records...?

Hi everyone,

this might be a really simple question, but :

i have a text file with multiple-line records in a format like this:

----------------------------
easting: 661674.9375
northing: 4035004.0000
elevation: 968.8617
distance along surface: 15.9540

easting: 661683.7500
northing: 4034946.7500
elevation: 961.4768
distance along surface: 58.4077

I am familiar with single-line records, and work with them in AWK quite frequently. However, i have yet to come upon an elegant solution to parsing something like the above file, such that i can assign each field in a multi-line record to a unique variable. a solution in AWK would be ideal, but i am open to tackle this problem with something like python.

any ideas?

thanks!

Dylan