2005 Apr 20 08:59

Re: [vox-tech] Scary cron-deamon message

Richard Crawford wrote:
> I have my server at home set to check my e-mail using fetchmail every five
> minutes.  When it generates an error, the error message is sent to my
> account.
>
> I received this error message a few minutes ago.  It scares me; should I be
> worried?

> Subject: Cron <richard@hagrid> fetchmail >> /dev/null
> Date: Tuesday 19 April 2005 10:56
> From: Cron Daemon <root@stonegoose.com>
> To: richard@stonegoose.com
>
> fetchmail: SMTP error: 553 5.1.3 <mkwsmryacfvcy@myfastmail.com,>... Invalid
>  route address

Which fetchmail rule do you have that is trying to send email? Is this
an autoresponse rule?

The problem is that comma in the email address - it's making your SMTP
server think that you've given it a "route address" [1], a special form
of email address that also includes routing information about where to
send the message to get it to its final destination. Because there's
nothing after the comma, the address is malformed.

Remove the comma and things should work right.

[1] See http://www.remote.org/jochen/mail/info/address.html, scroll down
to "Source Routes"