2005 Apr 16 17:31

Re: [vox-tech] KDE footprint on lower end machines.

På lördag, 16 april 2005, skrev Peter Jay Salzman:
> On Sat 16 Apr 05,  1:11 PM, Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> said:
> > På lördag, 16 april 2005, skrev Peter Jay Salzman:
> > > I'm curious about the lowest powered machine that can handle KDE.
> > >
> > > Is there anyone running KDE on a PII or lower?  If so, can you announce your
> > > CPU, memory and send a copy of one xterm worth of top output so I can see
> > > cpu and memory usage?
> >
> > I knew a LUGOD member (who has since moved overseas)
>
> Was that Drew Parsons?  I really miss him.

Actually I was thinking of Gummi. I miss Drew too, he was a cool guy.

> Those were the awesome days of LUGOD when we barely knew what we were
> doing.  :)

Indeed.

[snipped: Peter's motiviation for running KDE]
> Although I can use k3b under enlightenment, it loses some functionality
> since I only have the bare minimum requirements to run it functionally.  For
> example, I can't configure the "one click versus two click" model because I
> don't have the KDE configure tool installed.

Hmm, can you run the kde configuration tool manually from a shell?

The main reason that KDE is so heavy compared to, say, GNOME, is that there
are daemons that must run to provide services for applications that use the
KDE libraries. You need these to run even KHelloWorld. What you can do
without is the integrated window manager, button bar, etc. So what I am
saying is that you can probably trim the loading time by not running the
interactive parts of the KDE environment, but doing so may not help a whole
lot because you still need the daemons. I know that does not help much,
sorry :-(.

Another suggestion: what about starting KDE on display :1 and just leaving
it there? If you have lots of RAM its big footprint will not greatly affect
other processes when it is sleeping.

> Since I regularly switch between twm and enlightenment, and I have the hard
> drive space, I was considering loading KDE on a dual PII/333.  I'd kill X,
> run KDE, do whatever I need to do and go back into enlightenment which I'm
> most comfortable with.  It would be for short runs.
>
> That's the plan, at least.  :)

It sounds reasonable, but see the suggestion above.

- --
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13
Please don't send me HTML mail! My mail system usually rejects it.