2005 Apr 08 18:53

Re: [vox-tech] Compile Question

On Friday 08 April 2005 12:20, Henry House wrote:
> På fredag, 08 april 2005, skrev Bob Scofield:

> Do you have the appropriate KDE development packages installed? You
> probably already know this, but it can't hurt to point out just in case
> that you need additional stuff (header files and static libraries) beyond
> the packages needed to run KDE if you want to compile software that depends
> on KDE.

Okay, I didn't have the KDE development packages.  I discovered this the
cheesy way.  I went to Debian, found the packages, and then used apt-get to
get them.  Since they installed, I knew I hadn't had them.  (It's cheesy
because you don't have to look around your system for them.)

These packages eliminated the prefix problem.  But I ran into another error
telling me I didn't have libkipi.  So I downloaded libkipi and compiled it.
That was the first thing I've compiled in my life, believe it or not.

 With libkipi, I was finally able to compile the kipi-plugins with one
exception.  There was one I couldn't compile because, according to the error
message, I didn't have lighoto2.  I actually do have that installed, but was
really only interested in the plugin that allows me to e-mail pictures from
Digikam.  Therefore, I have been as successful as I set out to be.

The compiling took a long time.  The program comes already compiled on SuSE.
Debian seems to be a distro for people with time on their hands.  But I have
to admit I've learned more using Debian than I have using Red Hat, Mandrake
or SuSE.  But it sure is nice to be able to install stuff with apt.

Thanks again Bill and Henry.

Bob