2005 Apr 07 15:57

Re: [vox-tech] GUI for Camera on Sarge?

On Thursday 07 April 2005 11:46, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:14:00AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> > A simpler thing to do is just add the right line to /etc/fstab
> > permanently, yourself.  Then you can have an icon on your KDE desktop to
> > mount/unmout the device (/dev/sda1).  You will, however, need the
> > correct options, including "user(s)" which allows non-root users to
> > mount.
>

> I don't currently have any kind of automount stuff set up on my Sarge box,
> though.  I just have icons for the devices I care about on my desktop,
> and I can right-click and [un]mount them as I need to...

Okay, with /dev/sda1  /media/camera  auto  rw,user,noauto  0  0 in fstab it
works.  Yesterday I was having permissions trouble even with the "user"
entry.  I added "auto" today, but I also deleted the icon in My Computer and
started over with a new icon.  So I don't know why it works today, but didn't
yesterday.

I'm now doing almost everything on Debian that I like to do on SuSE and feel
confident I can make a total switch to Debian if something happens to SuSE.

> -bill!
> (happy that KDE 3.4 finally includes icon shapes for mounted and unmounted
> "CF Card" :^) )

About one or two days after you posted the line to put into apt to get KDE
3.4, my regular source list downloaded brand new updates for KDE 3.3.  I
wonder why Debian does this; continue to update 3.3, but then have a special
source for using apt for 3.4.

Thanks for the help Jonathan and Bill.

Bob