2005 Apr 07 11:46

Re: [vox-tech] GUI for Camera on Sarge?

Bob

I think you are on the right track. I've noticed also with Fedora that it automatically edits /etc/fstab when usb storage devices are attached or removed (cameras sometimes behave as storage devices). I'm not sure what daemon does this, but I don't think it is submount. It might be something called "HAL" that was mentioned previously on this list.

A simpler thing to do is just add the right line to /etc/fstab permanently, yourself. Then you can have an icon on your KDE desktop to mount/unmout the device (/dev/sda1). You will, however, need the correct options, including "user(s)" which allows non-root users to mount.

Jonathan

Bob Scofield wrote:
I had some questions arising out of my effort to set Sarge up like SuSE, which allows me to drag and drop pictures from a digital camera to my hard drive. On SuSE I just go to the My Computer icon, and click on an icon for a USB disk. This all happens in the Konqueror web browser.

A few weeks ago Bill gave Pete directions on how to set up the My Computer icon on KDE. I've followed those directions, but have been unsuccessful in getting an icon that will give me a GUI access to the camera.

The first problems I encountered were permissions problems; e.g. "Only root can mount /dev/sda1 on /media/camera." I still haven't solved these problems. It's confusing because /dev/sda1 seems to have the same permissions on SuSE and Debian. But I have become interested in the following issue.

One error message is something like "/dev/sda1 is not found in fstab or mtab." In SuSE the following entry automatically appears in mtab any time that the camera is plugged into the usb port: "/dev/sda1 /media/usb-0039731344:0:0:0p1 subfs rw,no exec,nodev,sync,procuid,iocharset=utf8 0 0." In my cheesy way, I began putting variations of this entry into my Sarge fstab. I got different error messages, but became interested in the one that said that the Sarge kernel had no support for subfs.

After Googling, I came across this website: http://submount.sourceforge.net/

I am starting to think that SuSE is automatically mounting the usb port when the camera is attached because of "Submount." The web site claims that Sarge is one of the distros that has a binary form of Submount available. But I can't find such a package on the Debian website. So here are my questions:

1) Do people agree that it's Submount that is allowing SuSE to automatically mount the usb port when the camera is plugged into the computer?

2) Does anybody know if Sarge has a Submount package that can be gotten with apt-get?

3) Is anybody dragging and dropping camera photos from the camera to the computer on Debian? If so, how do you set this up?

I may be back later for the permissions issues.

Thanks.

Bob