2005 Apr 04 11:34

[vox-tech] mutt and swish (or other indexing systems)

[vox-tech] mutt and swish (or other indexing systems)

So, I've got problems with some really big email archives.  And mutt
bogs heavily opening (or searching) same.

In setting up dwww I've (re)discovered swish++, a file indexing/search
utility.

It's indexed my main inbox (2500 messages) in a minute or so.  I've got
it churning away on my spam archive now (87k+ messages).  There's a few
neat bits, including that swish++ has an email mode which indexes and
allows searching by various header fields, e.g.:

   $ search++ -i Lugod subject = mutt

The really neat bit would be having mutt use swish's index for its own
searching.

Hrm...

Oh jeez....

So I _thought_ I had mutt's header cache working.  Well...  Just having
the hack compiled in isn't enough.  If you don't set "header_cache_ to a
location where the cache is maintained, you don't have it.

In .muttrc:

   set header_cach = <file>

or:

   set header_cach = <dir>

If set to a file, a single cache file is kept for all instances.  If set
to a directory, each Mutt folder gets its own separate cache.  This
allows for finer-grained access and locking.  If you run multiple mutt
instances, typically, in separate folders, do directories.  The cache
itself is a BerkeleyDB file.

Hrm.  So yes, that speeds things up remarkably.  Not sure if the header
cache itself slows things down as maildirs are updated.  I'll report
back on data -- I've got a few big directories ;-)

Peace.

    Microsoft KB:  Cookies Lost After Upgrading to Windows XP.
    [Ed:  WONTFIX:  Feature]
    - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282850