2005 Apr 02 11:48

[vox-tech] Getting KDE 3.4 in Debian Testing

[vox-tech] Getting KDE 3.4 in Debian Testing

Debian is apparently in a "hard freeze" right now, and it looks like KDE
3.4 won't even hit Sid (Unstable) until Sarge (currently Testing) becomes
Stable.  (I don't know when that will be.)

However, KDE 3.4 has been packaged for Testing, and can be reached via
the following line in /etc/apt/sources.list:

  deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.0/ ./

Then do   apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade   to pull it down.
(I'm about 30% into it, myself, and can't wait to check out what's
different.  I recently upgraded to 3.3.x, when it hit Testing, and it's
been nearly excellent, so far [*].)

Useful documentation is available here:

  http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/docs/

Enjoy! [+]

[*] I've noticed some bugs in amaroK and aKregator, which people have
    responded to by saying: "Get the 3.4 version, it fixes that, and
    is way better." ;^)

[+] Don't hold me responsible if it's totally broken.  I haven't even
    finished downloading it myself! ;^)

bill@newbreedsoftware.com         "I'm anticipating an all-out tactical
http://newbreedsoftware.com/      dog-fight, followed by a light dinner."