2005 Apr 01 16:19

Re: [vox-tech] Self-replacing license [was Urgent news: Linux may berelicensed]

Re: [vox-tech] Self-replacing license [was Urgent news: Linux may berelicensed]

Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name):

> If they had done the "version 2 or at your option" thing from the
> beginning, then they wouldn't have had to obtain agreement from other
> code contributors.

Of likely interest:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/Licensing-HOWTO.html#id2790762

> The beef I have with the "at your option" part is that you are placing
> the future of your code entirely within the hands of the FSF. Now, maybe
> those are good hands. But theoretically, the FSF could come out with a
> /completely/ different, and not necessarily better, license, and call it
> GPL 3.0. Maybe it's suddenly not even free (not that it's likely, but
> who knows what RMS's successors will be like?); or maybe it tweaks the
> definition of "free" in a way I don't like.

Then, you (the recipient) elect GPLv2.