January 6: Social gathering
2005 Mar 30 15:48

Re: [vox-tech] Install Plone on Ubuntu

Bill Kendrick wrote:

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:30:49AM -0800, tech_dev(Alex Mandel) wrote:

1. I know the new versions of plone come with zope and plone bundled so you don't need to install them separately(at least on win and mac)

(Just like how so many apps include DLLs of
libs that a Debian user would simply "apt-get install" _one_ copy of :^) )

Good Point - never thought of it that way, always assumed they needed to be compiled together to work right.
Last time I tried a Zope 1st, Plone 2nd install on Windows things didn't go so smoothly and it was nightmare to make sense of the directories.
ex: Which "import" folder the one under Plone or the one under Zope is where the import files go.
When you do a bundled install there's no redundancy.

For what it's worth, here's the output of "aptitude show zope" and
"aptitude show plone" on my Debian Testing box (last updated: earlier tonight)

Package: zope
State: not installed
Version: 2.6.4-1.6

Latest 2.7.5

Package: plone
State: not installed
Version: 2.0.4-3

Latest 2.0.5

Do the version numbers floating around above help shed any light?

-bill!
(an expert at stabbing in the dark ;) )

Althought not the latest version it's pretty close and until I learn how to compile the source files myself it will have to do.
Now the question is for me on Ubuntu, what lines do I need in my apt/sources.list in order to hit the same repository you pulled the info from.
I've been wandering the Debian and Ubuntu sites for paths to repositories and I've seen them say 'you can use Debian packages, just be careful' but no one says what the path to the Debian repository is...

Thanks
Alex