2005 Mar 22 13:42

Re: [vox-tech] external HD

Dmitriy wrote:

On Monday 21 March 2005 10:35, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Ah, you must be using Fedora 3. Fedora 3 has someone neat deamon
running that detects when a usb mass storage device is plugged in,
creates a mount point in /media, AND automatically edits /etc/fstab.
That part is desktop independent. You can then create a desktop device
icon in KDE that mounts and umounts the device.

Or maybe just Gnome. That could be Gnome Volume Manager. I think it's been part of gnome since 2.8, but not too sure.
It uses HAL/D-bus to listen to various HAL events and mount new devices or download pics from the camera,play a CD/DVD,burn a CD, etc...

I haven't seen any stuff from KDE doing HAL/D-bus integration.
But then again I haven't really kept up with what KDE does these days.

Fedora might have some other daemon that does similar thing, maybe with less features.

So seems the best thing for me is to stay away from hopping between Gnome and KDE. A sound KISS solution.
Donald Greg McGahan
begin:vcard
fn:Donald Greg McGahan
n:McGahan;Donald Greg
org:University of California Davis;Soils and Biogeochemistry
adr:Plant and Enviromental Sciences Building;;One Shields Avenue;Davis;California;95616;United States of America
email;internet:dgmcgahan@yahoo.com
tel;work:530-752-2205
tel;cell:530-219-6683
x-mozilla-html:FALSE