2005 Mar 22 13:39

Re: [vox-tech] external HD

On Monday 21 March 2005 10:35, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> Ah, you must be using Fedora 3.  Fedora 3 has someone neat deamon
> running that detects when a usb mass storage device is plugged in,
> creates a mount point in /media, AND automatically edits /etc/fstab.
> That part is desktop independent.  You can then create a desktop device
> icon in KDE that mounts and umounts the device.
Or maybe just Gnome. That could be Gnome Volume Manager. I think it's been
part of gnome since 2.8, but not too sure.

It uses HAL/D-bus to listen to various HAL events and mount new devices or
download pics from the camera,play a CD/DVD,burn a CD, etc...

I haven't seen any stuff from KDE doing HAL/D-bus integration.
But then again I haven't really kept up with what KDE does these days.

Fedora might have some other daemon that does similar thing, maybe with less
features.

--
Dmitriy