2005 Mar 21 11:14

Re: [vox-tech] external HD

Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Donald Greg McGahan wrote:

Henry House wrote:

På måndag, 21 mars 2005, skrev Donald Greg McGahan:

Can KDE mount an external device when attached to usb kind of like Gnome does.

KDE can "mount" any device that the Linux kernel recognizes as mountable by
calling the appropriate command to do so. But is not exactly accurate to
speak of KDE mounting filesystem (that word has a specific meaning unrelated
to KDE). I think you refer to associating a mounted filesystem with a
convenient desktop icon?

Yes, and the mount directory is created dynamically in /media rather than /mnt and no fstab entry is present.

Ah, you must be using Fedora 3. Fedora 3 has someone neat deamon running that detects when a usb mass storage device is plugged in, creates a mount point in /media, AND automatically edits /etc/fstab. That part is desktop independent. You can then create a desktop device icon in KDE that mounts and umounts the device.

Jonathan

Actually, Debian is the box I'm reffering to above. I do quite a bit of plugging and unplugging a brace of external hard drives and USB flash drives (2 of the USB flash drives for now). I've run into what I think is querky behavior. Plug it in once it behaves as described above. Unplug it and come back later and plug it in again it will not behave as described above. I went around in circles for awhile creating fstab entries when it did not dynamically work but if I needed to reboot the fstab entry was wrong and the dynamic failed.

I'm going buggy :-) I sort of like the dynamic route. Is it's failure to dynamically mount a second time something I can fix?

--
Donald Greg "DiG" McGahan
University of California Davis
One Shields Ave (LAWR)
Davis, California 95616
Soil and Biogeochemistry
2149 Plant and Environmental Sciences Building
Laboratory Phone 1-530-752-0144
Mobile:530-219-6183
email: soilman@ucdavis.edu or dgmcgahan@yahoo.com
MSN Messenger: dgmcgahan@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: dgmcgahan@yahoo.com
AIM: dgmcgahan
ICQ: 55404391
Ped-O-quote
"The lithosphere is the easel, the pedosphere the canvas, and the biosphere the painting on the canvas." (Gleason and Cronquist 1964)