2005 Mar 21 11:14

Re: [vox-tech] external HD

Donald Greg McGahan wrote:
Henry House wrote:

På måndag, 21 mars 2005, skrev Donald Greg McGahan:

Can KDE mount an external device when attached to usb kind of like Gnome does.

KDE can "mount" any device that the Linux kernel recognizes as mountable by
calling the appropriate command to do so. But is not exactly accurate to
speak of KDE mounting filesystem (that word has a specific meaning unrelated
to KDE). I think you refer to associating a mounted filesystem with a
convenient desktop icon?

Yes, and the mount directory is created dynamically in /media rather than /mnt and no fstab entry is present.

Ah, you must be using Fedora 3. Fedora 3 has someone neat deamon running that detects when a usb mass storage device is plugged in, creates a mount point in /media, AND automatically edits /etc/fstab. That part is desktop independent. You can then create a desktop device icon in KDE that mounts and umounts the device.

Jonathan