2005 Mar 20 18:25

Re: [vox-tech] linux on Mac iBook

On Mar 18, 2005, at 7:03 PM, Henry House wrote:

På fredag, 18 mars 2005, skrev Rick Moen:
Quoting Henry House (hajhouse@houseag.com):

[Special considerations for "New world" Macs:]

- the bootloader; I believe this situation is greatly improved since my
experience
These days, there's one that goes into its own partition/slice: yaboot.
Yaboot did not work reliably on my machine due to firmware bugs; I trust
that this situation has improved.

I have had similar problems with with OF bootloaders. However, according to the people on the debian-ppc list it is possible on just about any machine.

[...]
- the mouse: it only has one button so you need to emulate the other two for
X apps that expect three buttons
This is something I had to hand-hack into one of the init scripts at the
time I disabled Ubuntu's gnome-session startup, installed Windows Maker,
and set that as the default window manager: There's a utility you
invoke to assign the 2nd and 3rd mouse button functions to F11 and F12,
respectively.
Nice. I used a kernel argument to to this, but it only worked on ADB
keyboards, not USB.
adding support for single button mice can be done simply by editing /etc/sysctl.conf : here is an example:

http://fungus.ucdavis.edu/~dylan/linux/doc/sysctl.conf

The other thing is that software suspend didn't work, out of the box.
(I haven't fix this, yet.)
Do you mean sleep mode? I never got that to work properly, either.

Sleep mode works on my powerbook G3 (mainstreet), but only seems to work once per reboot cycle... obviously not ideal. you need pbbuttonsd for this to work. Again, according to the debian-ppc list it is possible to get working sleep from newer machines.

Dylan