2005 Mar 19 00:59

Re: [vox-tech] xhost+: Why you should NEVER DO THAT

Re: [vox-tech] xhost+: Why you should NEVER DO THAT

Richard Harke wrote:
On Friday 18 March 2005 18:12, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Richard Harke wrote:

When I first installed firefox it refused to run. After googling about I
found the advice to do xhost +. Based on this thread I should have
rejected the advice leaving me with two alternatives:

1:   download the firefox source and debug it.

2:   apt-get purge firefox  (followed by a nasty email to somewhere)
Have you tried firefox directly downloaded from Mozilla.org?
No, I didn't. Which seems like a reasonable thing to do. But it is not such
a small matter. One probably ought to remove or purge the version from
debian first, then at some point you will need to uninstall the
Mozilla.org version before re-installing the debian version (after the problem
is fixed) While I am not rule bound about using only deb packages, I have found that apt-get does a surprisingly good job while my experience with
tarballs has varied from easy to nightmare.

I understand your reluctance. I try very hard myself to install programs only through my distribution's interface. But for FireFox, I think the install is a binary, probably wrapped in a shell script. It shouldn't be as onerous as a tarballed source. But, yeah, it's best if you can figure out your Debian specific problem.

Jonathan