2005 Mar 18 19:45

Re: [vox-tech] xhost+: Why you should NEVER DO THAT

On Friday 18 March 2005 18:12, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Richard Harke wrote:
> > When I first installed firefox it refused to run. After googling about I
> > found the advice to do xhost +. Based on this thread I should have
> > rejected the advice leaving me with two alternatives:
> >
> > 1:   download the firefox source and debug it.
> >
> > 2:   apt-get purge firefox  (followed by a nasty email to somewhere)
>
> Have you tried firefox directly downloaded from Mozilla.org?
No, I didn't. Which seems like a reasonable thing to do. But it is not such
a small matter. One probably ought to remove or purge the version from
debian first, then at some point you will need to uninstall the
Mozilla.org version before re-installing the debian version (after the problem
is fixed) While I am not rule bound about using only deb packages, I have
found that apt-get does a surprisingly good job while my experience with
tarballs has varied from easy to nightmare.

Richard