2005 Mar 18 15:05

Re: [vox-tech] linux on Mac iBook

Quoting myself:
> Quoting Jonathan Stickel (jjstickel@sbcglobal.net):
>
> > Someone wants to install Linux on a Mac iBook (i.e. PowerPC arch.) at
> > the installfest Saturday.  This is new to me.  Any recommendations,
> > especially in regards to distribution?  For new users, I often go with
> > Fedora.  I see that the test version of Fedora 4 is out with a version
> > for PPC.  I'll probably go with that unless I'm advised not to.
>
> That would probably work fine.

You might want to stick to Fedora Core 3, though[1].  The FC4 "test1"
images have been getting pretty frightful reviews.

If you're an LWN subscriber, see this, for example, from Ladislav
Bodnar of Distrowatch:  http://lwn.net/Articles/127844/  (Bodnar
test-installed and then laboriously fixed breakage in the x86_64 image.
That obviously doesn't necessarily reflect on the brand-new PPC
addition, but I'd be wary.)

[1] Yes, I know it wasn't officially supported until the FC4 images.
But there were ISOs, e.g.:
http://www.fedoraproject.org/fedorappc/FC-3/isos/