2005 Mar 18 09:15

Re: [vox-tech] xhost+: Why you should NEVER DO THAT

On Fri 18 Mar 05,  8:42 AM, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> said:
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > If my firewall blocks tcp/udp ports 6000-6007, can you tell me how my x11
> > events can be captured by someone other than my lovely wife and cat?
>
> I have little to add to Jeff Newmiller's excellent answer, except that
> I breathe easier knowing that we don't trust our own home LAN any more
> than we would the Internet.  Among other things, this let us add
> wireless without any change to the house's security model, because we
> hadn't placed reliance on perimeter protection, in the first place.

True enough.  True enough.

That said, I never used "xhosts +" (or whatever it) in my life, but I do
remember "Redhat Unleashed" a long, long time ago (back in the RH 5.1 days)
recommended it.

I never needed to back then because ssh -X always seemed to "work".

However, it should be pointed out that once someone gets access to your LAN,
even ssh, sshd and gnupg are all suspects.

Pete