2005 Mar 20 18:25

Re: [vox-tech] linux on Mac iBook

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 03:58 -0800, Henry House wrote:

> - the bootloader; I believe this situation is greatly improved since my
>   experience

Last time I tried this kind of thing (5-6 years ago) it was pretty
nasty.  You could either boot via a MacOS program (which I hated), or
try your hand at getting into and then configuring openfirmware to boot
linux directly. It is possible to brick a Mac by doing this. :(

I hope you're right that things have improved.

> - the mouse: it only has one button so you need to emulate the other two for
>   X apps that expect three buttons

Fortunately modern macs use USB mice, so you can just buy a three-button
Intellimouse-style mouse and plug it in.

You're right though that once it's going, it's just a gnu/linux system.
Albeit an expensive one.

--
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department