2005 Mar 18 10:12

Re: [vox-tech] linux on Mac iBook

På fredag, 18 mars 2005, skrev Jonathan Stickel:
> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> >On Thursday 17 March 2005 03:23 pm, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> >
> >>Someone wants to install Linux on a Mac iBook (i.e. PowerPC arch.) at
> >>the installfest Saturday.  This is new to me.  Any recommendations,
> >>especially in regards to distribution?  For new users, I often go with
> >>Fedora.  I see that the test version of Fedora 4 is out with a version
> >>for PPC.  I'll probably go with that unless I'm advised not to.
> >>
> >>Anyone able to come help with a PPC install on Saturday?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Jonathan
> >

> >I might be able to come. Regardless, i would certainly recommend
> >Debian/Testing for this machine. I have been running it on my powerbook G3
> >now for a couple of years. Also, the Debian-PPC mailing list is VERY
> >active.
> >

> If you can come help, I'll burn a PPC sarge net-install disk.  As you
> may have guessed from another thread today, I'm not all that big on
> Debian, but I am happy to let others try.

I ran Debian on my Mac G3 Powerbook, when I had one (it has been a few years
and my knowledge of Mac hardware and Linux thereon is rather old by now).
Also there are several Knoppix derivatives for PowerPC.

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Customisations

The principle platform-speficic issues that I had with Linux when I was
running on Mac hardware were:

- the bootloader; I believe this situation is greatly improved since my
  experience
- tuning the framebuffer for good video performance
- the mouse: it only has one button so you need to emulate the other two for
  X apps that expect three buttons

Otherwise, Linux on a Mac is pretty much indistinguishable from Linux on any
other platform. Good luck!

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13