2005 Mar 18 09:02

Re: [vox-tech] Exporting displays

on Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:11:06PM -0800, John Wojnaroski (castle@mminternet.com) wrote:

> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> >on Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:42:41PM -0800, Mark K. Kim (lugod@cbreak.org)
> >wrote:
> >

> >>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, John Wojnaroski wrote:
> >>[snip]

> >>[snip]

> >>[snip]
> >>
> >>That'll work except your local computer isn't letting the connection
> >>through for security reasons.  On your *local* computer, type this:
> >>
> >>  $xhost +
> >>

> Actually, xhost +  is quick and easy and since all the machines are
> trusted and on a LAN behind a firewall

The firewall is dead.  Memorial services pending:

    http://www.campus-technology.com/news_issue.asp?id=153&IssueDate=9/18/2003

    So for those who may need a reality check, let me be blunt: the
    "intranet" is dead. The inside of your institutional firewall is
    just like the outside of your institutional firewall: it is all
    ablaze.

Irony note:  I'm looking at an LTSP implmentation.  The LAN/WAN in
question is an intranet spanning over 30 campuses, with all internal
nodes addressable.  Turns out that tunnelling XDMCP is technically
difficult.

> there should be no security problem.

I'd limit that proviso to a household LAN in which I know all nodes and
cabling, and have no legacy MS Windows systems (cesspits of malware) or
wireless links.

> Running four machines on a distributed flight simulation and getting
> tired of jumping up to get to the other machines. Idea is to run
> everything from code editing, compiling, and testing from a single
> station.

SSH tunneling is your friend.

> I do appreciate all the responses and the solid advice on how to use ssh
> when working with a remote machine over the Internet.

s/Internet/Intranet/

Peace.

    Yeah, in the future NASA should just submit an Ask Slashdot whenever
    something goes wrong..
    - seen on, um, some website.