2005 Mar 17 19:13

Re: [vox-tech] stale NFS file (was: binary equivalence of twodirectories)

Re: [vox-tech] stale NFS file (was: binary equivalence of twodirectories)

Hmm... just a guess.  Is lockd running on lucifer?

File locking was added in NFS4, but for backward compatibility it was
run in a separate daemon.  I'm guessing that most programs don't
bother with file locking, but it wouldn't surprise me if diff did.  If
lockd weren't running, then it would be unable to lock the file, which
it might interpret as a stale file handle.

This is all supposition, and I may have some of the details wrong,
since I haven't mucked with NFS in years.

  -- Mitch