2005 Mar 18 14:53

Re: [vox-tech] linux on Mac iBook

Quoting Jonathan Stickel (jjstickel@sbcglobal.net):

> Someone wants to install Linux on a Mac iBook (i.e. PowerPC arch.) at
> the installfest Saturday.  This is new to me.  Any recommendations,
> especially in regards to distribution?  For new users, I often go with
> Fedora.  I see that the test version of Fedora 4 is out with a version
> for PPC.  I'll probably go with that unless I'm advised not to.

That would probably work fine.

My G3 iBook2 (two generations back on CPUs) first got Gentoo on it, and
following that Ubuntu Linux 4.10 "warty warthog".  There are now also
beta-level live CDs of that distribution (not yet tried).  I've in fact
downloaded one of those for _my_ installfest (SVLUG/CABAL's), which will
likewise be Saturday, at my house in the Bay Area.

This distro list is reasonably current:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=maclinux#powermaclinux