2005 Mar 17 15:07

Re: [vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

On Thu 17 Mar 05,  2:56 PM, Bob Scofield <rscofield@afes.com> said:
> On Thursday 17 March 2005 02:03 pm, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
> >   Debian's installation process is difficult and requires
> > intimate knowledge of how linux works.  In order to have an up-to-date
> > system, you risk instability (with the testing or unstable tree), or
> > must resort to 3rd party "backports".
>
> *I* think the install is difficult.

We have to make a distinction between the installation and the configuration
phase that takes place after installation.

Installation is easy.  Especially with the latest official installers.  The
configuration phase can be pretty challenging to the uninitiated.  But it's
a *great* way to learn about your computer and its operating system.

Datapoint: I have tried, and failed, to install Gentoo twice.  I never
failed to install Debian.

Pete