2005 Mar 17 08:43

Re: [vox-tech] stale NFS file (was: binary equivalence of twodirectories)

Re: [vox-tech] stale NFS file (was: binary equivalence of twodirectories)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

[...]

> Another question (with my tail between my legs).
>
> When I do this, I get many "Stale NFS file handle" messaages:
>
>    $ diff -r project2/ /dvd/
>    diff: project2/Getting Started with Corel Painter 8/data/movies/chap05: Stale NFS file handle
>    diff: project2/Getting Started with Corel Painter 8/data/movies/chap06: Stale NFS file handle
>    diff: project2/Intermediate Flash MX 2004/CD 1/Xtras: Stale NFS file handle
>    diff: project2/Intermediate Flash MX 2004/CD 2: Stale NFS file handle
>    diff: project2/Intermediate Flash MX 2004/readme.txt: Stale NFS file handle
>    diff: project2/Learning Access 2003/PC Exercise: Stale NFS file handle
>    diff: project2/Learning Access 2003/readme.txt: Stale NFS file handle
>

> The DVD in question is on satan.  The directory
>
>    /E/documentation/Videos/Lynda.com/project2/
>
> is on lucifer, but NFS mounted onto satan.  All in all, the dvd has about
> 4.1 GB on it, so the amount of data is non-trivial.
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening?

Did you google this?  You don't mention unmounting the NFS share on satan
and remounting it... Google hits indicate that anytime the lucifer NFS
service goes down (reboot?) the mounted share on satan will go stale.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing