January 6: Social gathering
2005 Mar 17 13:28

Re: [vox-tech] Exporting displays

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, John Wojnaroski wrote:
[snip]
> I'm trying to login into a remote host and have the host export the screen
> display back to my machine
[snip]
> "export DISPLAY=my_ip_address:0.0"  returns something like "Xlib: client is
> not authorized to connect to server" which seems to indicate that something
> is missing or lacking on the local machine.  Any suggestions where to look?
[snip]

That'll work except your local computer isn't letting the connection
through for security reasons.  On your *local* computer, type this:

   $xhost +

*but* this will work only if your local computer is connected directly to
the Internet.

The better way is to use ssh with the -X option to connect to the remote
computer in the first place.  Not only does ssh setup the X forwarding for
you automatically (not need to do "export blah blah" or "xhost blah blah"
or be concerned about not being connected directly to the Internet), but
your connection will be secure.  But this works only if the remote
computer has a ssh server with X forwarding enabled, which it is by
default on most systems I've seen.  The drawback is the connection will be
a little slower than it would be on an insecure system, but it shouldn't
be noticeable under most circumstances.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim