2005 Mar 15 11:13

Re: [vox-tech] Spyware For Linux?

It is clear that Linux doesn't have a spyware or virus problem. I've been wondering, though, about the frequency of compromised Linux systems of home users. By compromised, I mean an someone's entered illegally through a backdoor and is running whatever they want. Occasionally I hear of it happening with power Linux users running all kinds of internet services, but does it happen with home users? Can it happen if they don't use any network daemons? It bothers me that Fedora turns sshd on by default. A naive user could set a silly root password, and they'll be cracked in a few hours.

I kind of watch Gentoo security announcements. Many of them deal with denial of service (DOS) attacks where a program running as nonroot could hang the computer. How often does this happen? I'm less concerned about this one because I would notice right away and fix it. A comprised system can go undetected for awhile and mean lots of clean up work.

Jonathan

Mark K. Kim wrote:
It's "anti-spyware" program, not spyware program.  Spyware programs slow
down your computer.

Linux doesn't have spyware.  So no, you don't need anti-spyware software.

Even Windows doesn't need one if you know what you're doing.  My Windows
system as well as my parents' run perfectly fine without any typical
slowdown you see on a spywared systems.  Stop clicking on random things on
the web especially stupid ads and downloading illegal software and free
software you've never heard of and using bad e-mail readers!

-Mark