January 6: Social gathering
2005 Mar 14 13:16

Re: [vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

On Monday 14 March 2005 12:22 pm, Rick Moen wrote:

> Non sequitur.  For example, you can point a Debian box at Xandros's
> apt-source hosts, but that will not fetch you some key pieces provided
> only in the shrink-wrapped boxed sets of Standard Edition and Deluxe
> Edition.

I have read that apt can be set up for any rpm-based distro.  And my Googling
has discovered the fact that there are even SuSE users using apt.  But of
course these SuSE users have to somehow set up their package sources.

My point, which you seem in part to agree with, is this.  In mid-April, a SuSE
user can pay $59.99 for an upgrade version of SuSE 9.3.  That will get the
user many nice things including an upgrade to KDE 3.4 and Open Office 2.0.
But the Debian users are going to upgrade to KDE 3.4 and Open Office 2.0 for
free.

Now even a SuSE user can upgrade to KDE 3.4 for free.  But a lot of SuSE and
Mandrake users will not want to, or be able to, download a new KDE version.
A Debian user will get there by simply using some form of apt every once and
awhile.

SuSE has a very nice online update feature; YOU.  You get bug fixes and
security updates, and you can get things like Microsoft fonts, and NVIDIA
drivers.  But I'll bet that Novell will never incorporate apt.  If it does,
it will lose it's $59.99 update sales.

Bob