2005 Mar 18 10:11

Re: [vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:31:35AM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've just been wondering about Jay's question for the last two days.  For the
> heck of it, I just typed "aptitude install webmin" to see what would happen.
> I was told that apache would be installed.  I'm just a desktop user with no
> need for apache.

Well, Webmin, as the name implies, is a web-based interface for system
administration.

I'm currently using it on a machine I'm renting out as a server, and it's
actually pretty usable.  It provides a web-based GUI interface to control
many, many aspects of the system (from log rotation to user accounts).

Personally, though, I wouldn't use it on my desktop machine, since I don't
do much of those server-y kinds of things at home.

> Is webmin really very much like YAST?  Is it worth getting?

My imperssion was YAST had hardware-detection capabilities, or some-such.
So in that sense, no, Webmin is different.  (I could be wrong, having never
used YAST, and only having used Webmin a little bit, so far!)

<snip>
> Of course I do not expect much sympathy from Debian users for this type of
> computing.

It depends on which Debian users you're talking to, of course! :^)
Personally, I'd love to see Debian become 'the average Joe's' distro,
partly because I like what it can do already (the apt-get and other techy
stuff), but also because it's "Free."