2005 Mar 15 08:38

Re: [vox-tech] please check that the dcopserver program is running(was Re: please help)

Re: [vox-tech] please check that the dcopserver program is running(was Re: please help)

--Signature_Fri__11_Mar_2005_10_35_05_-0800_EY7iCIzjG5qe_Yoc

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:13:10 -0800
Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I just called Mike to see if I could help him quickly by phone.  It=20
> seems like his home directory has disappeared, and he says a file
> system check did not fix things.  This is probably outside the scope
> of my expertise.  Is someone able to help him?
>=20
> Jonathan
>=20
>=20
> Michael Siminitus wrote:
> > 1- Michael Siminitus, [address, phone removed] ___ call anytime -ASAP=20
> > please
> >=20
> > 2- see full specs at:=20
> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/200ARC/3501609sp83.shtml
> >=20
> > 2- Mandrake 10.
> >=20
> > 3- I cannot log on, except as root or the new user I created. The
> > error I keep getting is:
> > * There was an error setting up inter-process communications for
> > KDE. The message returned by the system was:
> > Could not read network connection list.
> > //.DCOPserver_localhost_0
> > Please check that the ___dcopserver___ program is running
> >=20
> > 4- sorry, it's on my laptop and I can't retype that whole thing.
> >=20
> > 5- I have a paper trapped in the machine I need to turn in tomorrow.
> > I don't know if it is possible, but it would be GREAT if I could
> > bring the laptop to someone tomorrow morning who could help out.

I'm not a KDE person, but my first suggestion would be to move the .kde
directory out of the way and see if that fixes the problem.

He could also try
 * logging in to GNOME instead of KDE
 * logging in from the command line

If he succeeds at logging in from GNOME, but needs kword (and kword
fails with the same problem as his login) then he will at least be in a
position to run dcopserver manually.

--Ken Bloom

--=20