2005 Mar 11 10:27

Re: [vox-tech] Apt-get vs. Dselect

On Friday 11 March 2005 09:54, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Fri 11 Mar 05,  9:44 AM, Mark K. Kim <lugod@cbreak.org> said:
> > `dselect` is a TUI front-end to `apt-get`.
> >
> > Rick Moen recommends using `aptitude` instead of `dselect` but I just
> > can't get used to the interface.
>
> That's because you're not using it the right way.  :-)  Try doing whatever
> you normally do with apt-get, but do "s/apt-get/aptitude/g".  In other
> words:

All I know is that I was overwhelmed by aptitude.  I'm told to put a + or -
next to a package, but I'm given 14,000 plus packages to look at.  I much
prefer apt-get.  If I was interested in learning what packages were available
I'd probably bring up a browser and check out the relevant package category
on the debian website, and then bring up a terminal window and apt-get what I
wanted.  But I realize that I do things differently.

The one thing we can all agree on is that the whole apt thing is *really*
nice.  I was wishing SuSE would set up apt.  But then I realized that it's
not within the interests of commercial distributions to allow the Debian type
upgrading.  (See Ken Boom's answer to my Debian upgrade question on Vox.)

Bob