January 6: Social gathering
2005 Mar 09 07:18

Re: [vox-tech] DVD burning front ends

Quoting Bob Scofield (rscofield@afes.com):

[Stuff you installed on, I think, Debian:]

> Now when the KDE splash screen comes up I have an option to
> go into either KDE or GNOME.  It's kind of clever, though I'd probably be
> happier not to have the GNOME.

What you're calling the "KDE splash screen" is kdm, the display manager
maintained by some KDE person.  Alternative display managers include gdm
(from the GNOME cult) and plain ol' xdm.

Nice thing about xdm is that you can kill it (and the X server engine
riding herd on it) by simply pressing Ctrl-R ("remove from memory").

_Any_ display manager can start up _any_ window manager, with or without
also starting some thundering herd of "desktop environment" cruft via
xinitrc, Xsession, or similar scripts that you're supposed to not notice
are editable and thus within your control.

<gurumode> Achieving higher consciousness requires ridding your mind of
such illusory notions as "going into" desktop environments.  The
enlightened know that there are only display managers, window managers,
X server processes, session managers, and run-of-the-mill X processes.
All else is samsara.  </gurumode>

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                    Magnus frater spectat te.