2005 Mar 09 08:59

Re: [vox-tech] Cygwin's Identity Crisis

on Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 10:06:39AM -0800, Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com) wrote:
> And behold, Ken Bloom flailed at a keyboard and did expound:
>
> > On the local cygwin, run
> > $ infocmp cygwin > readable_file
> > this will decompile the terminfo file from cygwin
> > now copy readable_file to the solaris box
> > now, on the solaris box, as root run
> > # tic readable_file
> > this will compile the decompiled file and put the compiled file in the
> > appropriate directory.
>
> That seemed to work perfectly, even better than export TERM=xterm (which
> seemed to cause some minor problems).

As a final suggestion (though you've likely resolved your issue), using
a 'case' statement within your .bashrc or .profile / .bash_profile may
be preferable to hardwiring a terminal setting.

Um, s/may be/is/

So, for example:

   case $TERM in
     <problematic term value[s]) export TERM=<known working value>;;
     *) ;;
   esac

Say:

   case $TERM in
     cygwin) export TERM=ansi;;
     *) ;;
   esac

Yes, you need the doubled ';;'.  'man bash' for more info.

Note that this is Bourne / bash syntax your csh/tsch shells will be
unhappy.

I've used a similar technique on troubled RH boxen (remote-side) in the
past.

Peace.

    Patience is a virtue.