2005 Mar 08 10:06

Re: [vox-tech] Cygwin's Identity Crisis

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:56:33 -0800 (PST)
"Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

> I love using Cygwin; it's a great tool, since I find that manipulating
> files is much easier for me from the CLI than with a GUI.
>
> This morning I SSH'ed into a remote box, though, and executed Vi;
> instead of pulling up the editor, though, I got this message:
>
> I don't know what kind of terminal you are on - all I have is
> 'cygwin'.[Using open mode]
>
> I can run Vi through PuTTY on the same remote computer, but it feels
> inelegant to have two separate tools that can do the same thing.  Is
> there a way to make Cygwin deliver a different terminal type, or to
> get the remote machine to understand Cygwin?

Now that I know this is not a linux box, I'm going to assume the problem
is that you simply don't have a terminfo file for cygwin, but that the
Solaris box knows where its terminfo files are and vi can find them. (If
that's not the case, see my other post).

On the local cygwin, run
$ infocmp cygwin > readable_file
this will decompile the terminfo file from cygwin
now copy readable_file to the solaris box
now, on the solaris box, as root run
# tic readable_file
this will compile the decompiled file and put the compiled file in the
appropriate directory.

--Ken Bloom