2005 Mar 08 09:42

[vox-tech] Cygwin's Identity Crisis

I love using Cygwin; it's a great tool, since I find that manipulating
files is much easier for me from the CLI than with a GUI.

This morning I SSH'ed into a remote box, though, and executed Vi; instead
of pulling up the editor, though, I got this message:

I don't know what kind of terminal you are on - all I have is 'cygwin'.
[Using open mode]

I can run Vi through PuTTY on the same remote computer, but it feels
inelegant to have two separate tools that can do the same thing.  Is there
a way to make Cygwin deliver a different terminal type, or to get the
remote machine to understand Cygwin?

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)