2005 Mar 05 18:28

Re: [vox-tech] Demonstrations of Linux flexibility?

On Saturday 05 March 2005 13:26, Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 03:07:09PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > I'm looking for examples illustrating the flexibility possible with
> > GNU/Linux.
>
> How about the ability to tailor your working environment to the
> abilities (limits) of your hardware?

Or how about getting the computer to multi-task for real.  I use the printing
example, and Pete Salzman uses the MP3 example.

Suppose you have Linux and Windows 98 on a dual boot, and you have Open Office
for both OS's.  Start printing a 30 page paper in Windows 98 and you will
find that the computer is useless until the print job is over.  You can't
surf the web, you can't start another word processing project, you can't play
Solitaire.  But if you reboot and print the same 30 page paper out in Linux,
you can work flawlessly on the computer while the paper is printing out.  (I
don't know what would happen with Windows XP.)

Bob