2005 Feb 28 14:53

Re: [vox-tech] another PS2PDF question [solved]

Re: [vox-tech] another PS2PDF question [solved]

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
On Monday 28 February 2005 12:46 pm, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Dylan Beaudette wrote:

Well, after a little bit of googling, it looks like there was a rather
simple solution. Since ps2pdf14 and epstopdf were just sending some
pre-defined parameters to ghost script, it is possible to setup the gs
environment, and then call epstopdf:

export GS_OPTIONS=-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress
epstopdf --nocompress file.eps

This will produce a PDF of the correct page size, without JPEG
compression on embedded images!
I don't know if your images are color or not, but your solution is not
sufficient when dealing with embedded color images (at least for me).
I've found that I need to edit the "epstopdf" script.  The two lines
that deal with "GSOPTS" need to be changed to:

my $GSOPTS = "-dAutoFilterColorImages=false
-dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode ";
$GSOPTS = "-dEncodeColorImages=false " unless $::opt_compress;

In fact, it is OK to compress the images as long as Flate encoding is
used rather that JPEG.  The above edit does this.

Ah... Interesting. I wonder how or if the "-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress" setting and the ones that you suggested are related. Before trying your method my images were looking good, with a final PDF size of 6.4Mb. After altering my epstopdf script as you suggested, the PDF file is 54Mb, and the images *seem* to be the same.... however it would take a bit of research to find out just how different they are. Any suggestions on a good place to search for answers?

Using my suggested hack, try "epstopdf foo.pdf", i.e. allow the default compression flag to stay on. You should get a compressed (smaller) file, but the image should still be "crisp".

The best doc I can find is http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/gnu/7.05/Ps2pdf.htm. This, with trial and error, lead me to my suggestion above. From what I can tell, the "prepress" setting has the same color image encoding options as the others, so I don't think the results will be much different.

Jonathan