2005 Feb 28 14:17

Re: [vox-tech] another PS2PDF question [solved]

Re: [vox-tech] another PS2PDF question [solved]

Dylan Beaudette wrote:

Well, after a little bit of googling, it looks like there was a rather simple solution. Since ps2pdf14 and epstopdf were just sending some pre-defined parameters to ghost script, it is possible to setup the gs environment, and then call epstopdf:

export GS_OPTIONS=-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress
epstopdf --nocompress file.eps

This will produce a PDF of the correct page size, without JPEG compression on embedded images!

I don't know if your images are color or not, but your solution is not sufficient when dealing with embedded color images (at least for me). I've found that I need to edit the "epstopdf" script. The two lines that deal with "GSOPTS" need to be changed to:

my $GSOPTS = "-dAutoFilterColorImages=false -dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode ";
$GSOPTS = "-dEncodeColorImages=false " unless $::opt_compress;

In fact, it is OK to compress the images as long as Flate encoding is used rather that JPEG. The above edit does this.

Just for the record, this allows one to create a poster in something like Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/), an opensource page layout program, and then save the file as an EPS. Unfortunately this EPS file is not easily sent to a printer (tried opening it in Illustrator 10, and there were numerous propblems in terms of printable area, etc.), thus the above method will create a JPEG compression-less PDF which can easily be printed from a PDF viewer.
How does inkscape compare to xfig?

Jonathan