2005 Feb 24 18:18

Re: [vox-tech] Help - Grub error 21

On Wed 23 Feb 05,  7:52 AM, Chris Jenks <jenks@resonance.org> said:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >My computer at work is a WinXP system.  Yesterday I used a Debian Sarge
> >official installer to make the system into a dual boot system.  Everything
> >went fine until the reboot.  When the system reboots, I see:
> >
> >   Grub loading stage 1.5
> >   Grub loading, please wait...
> >   Error 21
> >
> >The system doesn't boot at all.
>
>   Dear Peter,
>
>   I can sure sympathize. I just got through "playing" with my Dad's
> system, with Debian on the primary master and WinXP on the secondary
> master. He is leery of getting stuck in Linux, so being unable to boot
> Linux for several months didn't help! The symptoms were, using a recent
> install of Sarge from CD, that grub would repeat "GRUB GRUB ...", or LILO
> would give "L 99 99..." or "L 02 02..." depending on whether I reran lilo.
> The fix was to go into the bios and change the setting for the primary
> master (containing Linux) from "auto" to "user", which caused the setting
> for the number of heads for the disk to change from 16 (I think) to 255,
> and reduced the number of clusters. This allowed Debian to boot, but
> Windows would hang. I had to remap the drives in lilo.conf to get Windows
> to boot properly.
>
>   Yours,
>
>     Chris

Turns out that work was cancelled due to snow.  We're expecting 6-9 inches,
and it just started to flurry as I started home.

However great it is to get out of work due to snow, it's an equal magnitude
of great but opposite in direction having to drive to work the next day.  No
matter how much they plow, it's always a bit scary.

I guess there's a conservation principle in here: Conservation of Suckage.
Probably a symmetry in the Lagrangian of life nobody's observed yet.

I'll try these great ideas either on Friday or Monday and report back.

Pete