2005 Feb 24 10:00

Re: [vox-tech] Help - Grub error 21

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Hi all,

My computer at work is a WinXP system.  Yesterday I used a Debian Sarge
official installer to make the system into a dual boot system.  Everything
went fine until the reboot.  When the system reboots, I see:

   Grub loading stage 1.5
   Grub loading, please wait...
   Error 21

The system doesn't boot at all.
Dear Peter,

I can sure sympathize. I just got through "playing" with my Dad's system, with Debian on the primary master and WinXP on the secondary master. He is leery of getting stuck in Linux, so being unable to boot Linux for several months didn't help! The symptoms were, using a recent install of Sarge from CD, that grub would repeat "GRUB GRUB ...", or LILO would give "L 99 99..." or "L 02 02..." depending on whether I reran lilo. The fix was to go into the bios and change the setting for the primary master (containing Linux) from "auto" to "user", which caused the setting for the number of heads for the disk to change from 16 (I think) to 255, and reduced the number of clusters. This allowed Debian to boot, but Windows would hang. I had to remap the drives in lilo.conf to get Windows to boot properly.

Yours,

Chris