2005 Feb 16 08:09

Re: [vox-tech] bad partition table

on Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:39:17PM -0800, Nick Schmalenberger (nschmalenberger@fastmail.fm) wrote:
> On Saturday, somehow my partition table got destroyed. Today, I learned
> about gpart from the very nice Partition-Rescue-HOWTO. Gpart will guess
> the partition table based on the actual disk structure, so you can give
> cylinder numbers to recreate the partitions in the right places with
> fdisk. In this way, I was able to mount my root partition and read
> files. But I am having trouble restoring the rest, and I can't boot off
> the disk yet. So does anybody know of some system file that might have
> my the addresses of my old partitions written in it so I don't have to
> guess anymore? I use Debian. Thanks.

Other than the LILO mbr backup, no.

But this *is* one of the reasons why my system-info script includes
fdisk output among information printed.  I post a copy to a few websites
to allow for recovery in hard-luck situations.  Be prepared.

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/LinuxSystemInfoScript
    (Yes, that is the right URL, triple-checked....)

Run that, pipe output to a file.  Save that file.  Print it.

Peace.

   Comic tragedy:  MobiliX sued by Asterix publisher over 'iX' trademark
     http://tuxmobil.org/mobilix_asterix.html