2005 Feb 16 05:53

Re: [vox-tech] bad partition table

On Monday 14 February 2005 12:39, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> On Saturday, somehow my partition table got destroyed. Today, I learned
> about gpart from the very nice Partition-Rescue-HOWTO. Gpart will guess
> the partition table based on the actual disk structure, so you can give
> cylinder numbers to recreate the partitions in the right places with
> fdisk. In this way, I was able to mount my root partition and read
> files. But I am having trouble restoring the rest, and I can't boot off
> the disk yet. So does anybody know of some system file that might have
> my the addresses of my old partitions written in it so I don't have to
> guess anymore? I use Debian. Thanks.
> Nick
If you ran lilo during the install, lilo should have made a back-up copy
of the sector it wrote to. This would usually be the MBR. This back-up
would be saved in /boot normally. I'm using grub, however and I can't
find anything that looks like a saved boot sector. I also run debian
so maybe this hasn't helped.

Richard Harke