2005 Feb 09 16:46

Re: [vox-tech] a firefox question

on Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 08:07:55AM -0800, Jonathan Stickel (jjstickel@sbcglobal.net) wrote:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> >>I believe the Tab-Mix plugin
> >>(http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en) will solve this
> >>problem.  It also adds several other useful options for configuring tab
> >>behavior.
> >

> >On my system, this extension noticeably slows down FF!  But on the page for
> >tab-mix, there's a reference to another extension called "single window"
> >which looks like it does what I want:
> >
> >http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=290
> >
> >Pete
> >

> I ended up using "Tabbrowser Preferences"
> http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/tabprefs
> Actually, it was the first I tried, and I am happy with it so far.

Note that there are *THREE* separate tab extensions for Firefox.  I'm
with comments by Peter (?):  tabbed browsing is sufficiently deep and
coupled to the interface that it should be integrated, not bolted on.

The choices:

   - Tabbrowser Extension (TBE)
   - Tabbrowser Preferences (TBP).
   - Tab Mix.               (tabmix)

TBE is, by its own author's admission, unmaintainable spaghetti, and by
Firefox developers' reports, prone to rendering FFX highly unstable.  On
the pro side, TBE has the broadest feature set, and while many of these
are questionable, those who are used to the well-thought-out design of,
say, Galeon 1.2.x, can find a configuration which comes very close.

TBP is less featureful but far more stable.  It lacks a number of
preferences I'd like to see.  It's downright boneheaded in some of the
things it doesn't allow.

tabmix is supposed to be more stable, though I'm not sure of the
featureset.  It's mentioned on the TBE homepage as a preferred
alternative.

Peace.

    I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. These creatures are the only
    sentient race in the sector and they're made out of meat.
    - Terry Bison, Meat Beings