2005 Feb 03 19:21

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

David Hummel wrote:

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:40:21AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Micah Cowan wrote:

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

I forgot to list another major annoyance for me: I'm so used to
emacs style editing in bash, that ctrl-u is burned into my brain as
"clear line". Unfortunately, it displays the page source on FF.

C-u is not an emacs thing (take it from an emacs user). It's a
terminal thing. Emacs uses C-u for something *completely* different.

It's a readline thing, no?

Yep. readline defaults to emacs-style line editing commands, which is
augmented with additional commands like C-u. From the man page:

unix-line-discard (C-u)
Kill backward from point to the beginning of the
line. The killed text is saved on the kill-ring.

It works without readline, on typical terminal default settings. Login's password prompt obviously does /not/ use readline. Nor does cat, where you can see the effects very clearly.

Probably readline wants to do special handling; especially in cases where line-wrap occurs.

$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 24; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;

The kill setting is the relevant one.