2005 Feb 04 15:56

Re: [vox-tech] a firefox question

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 06:24:26AM -0800, Lewis Perdue wrote:
> I don't suppose anyone knows a hack that will allow Firefox to support a
> wheel mouse? I've gotten hooked on configuring mine to scroll down a page
> at a time. Firefox does not support, so I went back to Mozilla.

One of the annoyances to Firefox is it doesn't present nearly the
configuration options of Mozilla. The good thing is the options are
still there, just not available through the preferences interface. There
is an extension (the name of which I can't remember at the moment) that
fixes that problem. Luckily you can always manually configure it. Try
typing 'about:config' in the address bar. This brings up a page with
every possible configuration option and their current value. You can
then filter down to the mousewheel options by typing 'mousewheel' in the
filter bar. There are probably 3 options you're particularly interested
in here: mousewheel.withaltkey.action, mousewheel.withcontrolkey.action,
mousewheel.withshiftkey.action. Each one of course modifying what
happens when you use that particular key while scrolling the mousewheel.
You can double click on any of them and change the value. Setting to 1
makes the mousewheel scroll a page at a time. 2 is to go forward and
back in your history (equiv. to the forward/back buttons). 3 causes the
wheel to increase or decrease the font size (very handy on some sites
that set it way too small...I bind that to ctrl).

HTH
- rob