2005 Feb 03 05:35

[vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

[vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

Norm,

Actually, the Mozilla Foundation folks are all fairly geeky-which explains the vi command. On the other hand, this same text search feature is available using Control-F (Or Command-F on Macs). Though that doesn't excuse the lack of documentation you mention for this particular feature...

-dan

Concerning Firefox:

I've been using it almost exclusively for several months now (I mainly
used Mozilla before that), and I really like it. My complaint, though,
is that the documentation is awful.

For example, I discovered by accident that one can do a text search
within the currently-displayed page by using the vi `/' command! Yep,
hit the slash key as one would do in vi, and Firefox will search for the
text you type. In fact, it does it incrementally, and stops you if
you've typed so much that the string doesn't exist. And, instead of an
annoying popup window for the search, a search box appears WITHIN the
current window, at the bottom.
All that is nice, but I discovered it purely by accident. I'm so used
to using the / key to do searches in vim that I unthinkingly did so in
FF, and thus stumbled onto this cool feature. But it does not seem to
be in the documentation. In fact, as far as I know, there IS no full
documentation even available. (Please correct me if I am wrong on
this.)

One thing that FF does much better than the old Mozilla or Konqueror is
the installation of plug-ins, which FF partially automates. But it
still is poor relative to IE or for that matter Opera. And even though
FF has a plug-ins help page, which IS rather helpful, it is still lacking.

Norm