2005 Feb 03 05:34

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 04:02:17PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Wed 02 Feb 05, 12:50 PM, Norm Matloff <matloff@cs.ucdavis.edu> said:
> > All that is nice, but I discovered it purely by accident.  I'm so used
> > to using the / key to do searches in vim that I unthinkingly did so in
> > FF, and thus stumbled onto this cool feature.
>
> Ha ha ha!!!
>
> I forgot to list another major annoyance for me: I'm so used to emacs style
> editing in bash, that ctrl-u is burned into my brain as "clear line".
> Unfortunately, it displays the page source on FF.  I've clicked away more
> page sources than I care to admit.

My major annoyance is something that changed somewhere between 0.8
(maybe even 0.9) and 1.0. Ctrl-W while the cursor was in a text box used
to have the vi binding of deleting one word prior to the cursor. If you
clicked outside of the text box, or there was no text box to begin with,
Ctrl-W closes the current tab. Now in 1.0, it _always_ closes the tab.
More than once I've lost a nearly completed form or a paragraph or two
in a comment box.

It is of course possible that this behavior was changed by an extension
I installed, but I believe I haven't installed any new extensions since
a while before 1.0 came out.

> I know it's possible to change FF keybindings to emacs style or even vi
> style, but that requires reading, which I can't do ATM.

I've got to look into that. Anyone know if it's possible to change the
keybindings only when an input box has focus? I am used to using Ctrl-W
for closing tabs too...