2005 Feb 03 05:34

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

On Wed 02 Feb 05, 12:50 PM, Norm Matloff <matloff@cs.ucdavis.edu> said:
> Concerning Firefox:

snip

> For example, I discovered by accident that one can do a text search
> within the currently-displayed page by using the vi `/' command!  Yep,
> hit the slash key as one would do in vi, and Firefox will search for the
> text you type.

That's a stupendous find.  Thanks for sharing it.  Ctrl-f was cool, but this
is even more convenient!

I seemed to have stumbled on "escape" doing away with the find bar.  I was
wondering how to do that w/o a mouse...

> All that is nice, but I discovered it purely by accident.  I'm so used
> to using the / key to do searches in vim that I unthinkingly did so in
> FF, and thus stumbled onto this cool feature.

Ha ha ha!!!

I forgot to list another major annoyance for me: I'm so used to emacs style
editing in bash, that ctrl-u is burned into my brain as "clear line".
Unfortunately, it displays the page source on FF.  I've clicked away more
page sources than I care to admit.

I know it's possible to change FF keybindings to emacs style or even vi
style, but that requires reading, which I can't do ATM.

Pete