2005 Feb 10 18:56

[vox-tech] multi-language internet-cafe-style linux box

[vox-tech] multi-language internet-cafe-style linux box

I'm looking at putting together a multi-language public internet-browsing/e-mail box for a school project.

I plan to start out with KDE's kiosk framework (though I'm pretty open at this point). KDE w/ its i18n support seems appropriate for this, but there may be other methods.

I'd like to see this box be able to switch languages on the fly. The strategy I have envisioned for this is to have desktop-shortcut-driven shell scripts that would do the following:

1. Change the language settings for the desktop environment.

How do I do this programtically (i.e. without going into the KDE language settings in the configuration manager)?

2. Change a symlink for applications. For example, /home/USER/bin/firefox would change from /usr/local/firefox_en/firefox to /user/local/firefox_es/firefox. I was considering a similar approach for OpenOffice, if I choose to include an office app.

Is this a reasonable approach? It will be a bit of a waste of disk space, but seems easier than attempting to programatically switch language packs and/or settings.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Any good links/resources?

Dave